Tuesday 1 June 2010

home economics

IT's one of the oldest tricks in politics: ooh, don't mind me, I'm just a housewife. Margaret Thatcher told us in 1980 that spending cuts were essential because 'every housewife has to' stop shopping when there's nothing in the purse. During the election, David Cameron suggested that shaving squillons off public spending was just the sort of scrimping on pennies that households do all the time. No doubt we'll hear it all again during this month's Budget.
Which is timely, as a bit of frugality is long overdue in this downshifted household. So to cheer myself up during the grim process of spending less money, I'm conducting a little experiment. Where possible, I'll be channelling current Treasury thinking when I take the scalpel - or possibly, given my last bank statement, a whopping big axe - to the Hinsliff finances. Who knows what we might learn about the real economy from this not-even-remotely-scientific model, eh?
So here are the ground rules:
1. I won't cut back on frontline services. After careful thought, am defining these as: things that genuinely make three-year-olds happy; gin and tonic; occasionally getting out of the house.
2. I will act in the true spirit of coalition, ie I haven't really told my husband what I'm doing. I am by nature stingy, fretful and given to hoarding bits of string in case they come in handy: he cheerfully blows money on what I regard as total rubbish. This, I feel, may give me a useful insight into the relationship between the Tories and the LibDems.
3. I shall consider the merits of salami slicing all budgets vs boldly axing big programmes, or what I call The Highlights Question: viz, I could save a fair bit of money by no longer being blonde. Or I could keep going to the hairdresser and cut back a bit everywhere else. Hmm.
4. I will devolve spending locally. Which means: first for the chop is money spent via corporate giants with rude call centres. Last to go is anything bought from shops you can walk to, where they hold the door open for pushchairs.
So for the next month, we shall be Delivering More With Less Money on this blog. And Making Things Better Without Just Spending Money. And, of course, being Brutally Honest About The Results (that last is the only one that is not an authentic Cameron slogan, by the way) on here. If you're doing the same, please join in and share your ideas.
Tomorrow: the efficiency savings begin....

6 comments:

  1. Good luck with that economy drive. Every time I feel I ought to spend money, my body overrides my mind and takes me shopping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Obv. that should have said spend LESS money.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Husband sounds like the biggest expense. I'm assuming you are 'Prime minister' and therefore can just tell him to stop with buying of said rubbish.

    On a serious note, we have been budgeting for a while now. Have done things like step in Weather spoons and go to the pound shop. Places, I would previously have turned my very snobby nose up at. Not glamorous but does leave money for the hairdressers! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. My highlights money is sacrosanct. Definitely ring-fenced.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's encouraging to see writing like this online. I respect the work you do and the effort you have to put into getting this kind of material ready to write. 스포츠 생중계 스포츠 생중계

    ReplyDelete
  6. When you choose mortgage houses for loan purposes at that time you should take some advice from mortgage agents whitby. Because they are highly experienced in this kind of solution. So contact them to get the best support for taking mortgage loans.

    ReplyDelete